If you are among those in search of a true African escape, a haven of peace and tranquility somewhere far from the hustle and bustle of the city and the daily commute, then you need look no further than Fifty Seven Waterberg, about a 3-hour drive from Johannesburg and is set in the heart of the magnificent Welgevonden Game Reserve.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- You can book your stay directly on their website or on AfriStay making it quick and easy to reserve your suite!
- It is situated in a malaria-free area in South Africa’s Limpopo province.
- Be sure to pack your swimsuit if you are visiting in summer – Fifty Seven Waterberg has a fantastic pool, and their two honeymoon suites have their own private hot tubs!
- Bring along clothing with lighter material and accessories that will help you stay comfortable during the day when warmer temperatures are present and warm clothing to wear in the evenings and early mornings, especially during game drives.
- Check-in is at 2 pm and Check-out time is 11 am.
- No private vehicles are permitted inside, which ensures minimal human impact and an ultimate wilderness experience.
- Fifty Seven Waterberg only has 5 guest suites and can only accommodate 10 people at the time
- Complimentary Wi-Fi is available throughout the property
To describe our accommodation at Fifty Seven Waterberg as 5-star luxury is, if anything, is an understatement. Apart from being unusually spacious, our suite was also furnished to the very highest standards with a king-sized bed, private patio and hot tub with a magnificent view of the bushveld. Amenities in our suite included a Nespresso coffee machine (can you imagine how excited I was to be able to brew high-quality coffee in my room each morning?!), a refrigerator, an electronic safe, bathrobes, slippers, bath products, a hairdryer and a bath and shower overlooking the beautiful outside terrace.
Fifty Seven Waterberg was certainly one of the finest places to experience wildlife, a sense of wilderness and to touch the spirit of true Africa in comfort and style. Guests can enjoy two game drives per day, one in the morning and one in the evening in the Big 5 game reserve. During our stay, we were fortunate enough to see 4 out of the 5, including a herd of pack of brown hyena and cheetah
When we were not out on a game drive, we lounged around on the beds on the pool deck at their beautiful crystal clear blue pool. We were also treated to a boma dinner around a welcoming fire and under a starry African sky.
Fifty Seven Waterberg must have one of the best food experiences I have ever encountered during my stay at a 5-star reserve. Thanks in no small part to their Head Chef Gabriel that has gone out of his way to ensure that guests have a mouthwatering food affair. My favorite had to be the stuffed chicken breast with cream cheese, and a touch of chilies served with blue cheese barked potato, fresh rocket salad, squash puree and poultry jus.
As someone that enjoys luxury travel experiences, I believe that service makes the difference between a very nice hotel and a memorable hotel. Fifty Seven Waterberg had a lasting impression on me and has truly been one of the best 5-star travel destinations I have visited, and this is why:
- Their GM, Simon, is an excellent manager. He is on the premises, present and available to attend to all guests.
- They have an easy check in and check out system.
- They add generous touches for their guests like their choice of room amenities and in-room features and not the even speak about the spa treatments they do in your suite.
- They have standout room service. Fifty Seven Waterberg’s in-room breakfast service was exquisite, personalized and perfect.
- Their staff delivers a seamless service and is finely tuned, almost like an orchestra.
- Fifty Seven Waterberg provided such a memorable experience which I surely hope to repeat.
A special thank you to Simon, Gabriel, and Josphat for going out of your way ensuring that we had a perfect weekend away.